53rd World Earth Day
EARTHDAY.ORG ideas for companies.
Founded in the United States in 1970 as a political and student movement led by activist Denis Hayes, since the 1990s the celebration of World Earth Day has gone beyond national borders, involving millions of people.
Today, thanks to the mobilisation of 1 billion people in over 190 nations, 22 April is a date recognised by people and nations as a day of action to change human behaviour and create global, national and local policy changes.
On the occasion of the 53rd edition, EARTHDAY.ORG shared numerous ideas for action for a sustainable development of the Planet. Here are those for companies, which are considered among the biggest emitters of greenhouse gases and other pollutants (source: www.earthday.org):
- “Invest in sustainable infrastructure for your business. A workplace that operates using renewable energy and has taken measures to ensure energy efficiency will see significant reductions in operating costs, increasing the profit margin.”
- “Reduce paper consumption as much as possible in favour of electronic media that require fewer resources to operate.”
- “Offer incentives for cycling to work or the opportunity for employees to work from home, increasing quality of life and job satisfaction for your workforce while eliminating a significant source of carbon emissions from your business.”
- “Expand your portfolio of sustainable investments. Institutions that have made these investments early and frequently are already seeing returns, which continue to grow as the world inevitably transitions to a sustainable economy.”
- “Mitigate the carbon impact of your business by planting a forest with the Canopy Project, our reforestation campaign.”